Having a good night’s sleep has a huge impact in our lives. The way we interact with people like our kids, neighbours, relatives and with our office colleagues, every bit gets affected when we do not get a proper sleep at night. Basically, what it means here is that on days when you are too tired and deprived of sleep, you automatically tend to slip your mood into some kind of negative thinking. Ultimately, you end up making wrong decisions. At times, the situation gets so severe that you end up feeling like you cannot just handle it anymore and you may end up with an outburst.
Having a proper sleep at night will automatically boost a lot of positivity in you. All of us need, seven to eight hours of sleep everyday to enjoy the 100% of next day. Research has even stated that falling asleep while watching the Television and even struggling to stay awake during a meeting, means you are sleep deprived. Some people are so much deprived of sleep that they have forgotten that what is actually staying alert.
The best way to treat insomnia is to first find out the reason for the existence of this problem. Common causes for insomnia are:
- Psychological problems like depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress and chronic stress.
- Medical problems too can cause insomnia: asthma, allergies, chronic pain, kidney disease, cancer etc.
- Medications too can cause insomnia like anti-depressants, cold and flu medications contain alcohol, pain relievers containing alcohol and high blood pressure conditions.
For a medical condition, you will have to consult a physician. However, there could be other reasons associated too for which a few home remedies that may help you fix up the issue. You can check out the below mentioned tips to maintain good sleep hygiene:
- Establish fixed times for going to bed and waking up in the morning.
- Relax a while before going to bed.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, nicotine and caffeine late at night.
- Avoid taking naps in the day time.
- Get a good head massage before sleeping.
- Listen to soft music before sleeping, it steals away all your stress.
- Eating a heavy meal before sleep is not advisable too.
- Consume herbal tea or may be warm milk before sleeping.
- Watching late night Television shows is also not a good idea.
- Keep your bed clean and do not clutter too many things on the bed like books, CDs, make-up kits, clothes etc.
If the problem is too serious and requires medical intervention then you might have to make a visit to the doctor and they would implement some cognitive and behavioural treatments. Or, you might be prescribed a short course of sleeping tablets to get immediate relief. However, the tablets are not recommended without consultation from a doctor.
Most of us have a habit to skimp a few hours of sleep from our daily sleep schedule and that tends to add up to a big sleep debt at the end of the week. And, that is the reason why most of us feel so wiped out by Friday. However, the good news is that you can make up for the lost hours of sleep and erasing out all your mental fatigue and laziness by having a good sleep on weekends.
By- Angelica Campbell