The first time when I saw the fruit pomegranate, it looked pretty strange to me unless I cut open one to see how it would be? And, inside the fruit looks remarkably beautiful with deep red seeds embedded and with a taste that left me an absolutely enamored state. The fruit is just not looks good or tastes good, but also is one of the most highly nutritious foods to consume.
To begin with, pomegranates are a high source of anti-oxidants. In fact, they are one of the most powerful anti-oxidant among all fruits. Anti-oxidants help in eliminating the radicals that can damage the body’s cells and genetic material that promote diseases. Thus, pomegranates are highly recommended to be taken for protecting the body against ill health. The juice is also considered to be more effective than grape juice and red wine too. Also, the pomegranate extract can be applied on the skin in the form of oil. Various anti-oxidants in pomegranate oil like phytonutrients and flavonoids help to counter the effects of radicals and environment hazards. It is one of the most essential products that a lady can actually add to their beauty regime to get fresh, beautiful and glowing skin.
Pomegranates are not only concentrated with a high source of ant-oxidants but also has a high source of nutrients. The fruit constitutes a range of nutrients that help to boost the level of oxygen in the heart required for proper cardiovascular functions. Furthermore, the presence of vitamin C boosts the working of the immune system and defends the body against various diseases. Pomegranates also contain vitamin B5 and B9 that is rarely found in other fruits. The B vitamins help the body to convert food into energy, especially vitamin B5 that is also known as pantothenic acid helps in the regulation of the nervous system. The phytonutrients in pomegranate help to inhibit hormones associated with depression. Also, a good amount of vitamin K is present that is required for blood clotting and also for healthy bones and strong teeth.
The fruit contains over 45% of an adult’s recommended daily allowance of dietary fiber. Seeds of pomegranates are a rich source of fiber, therefore it is highly recommended to have the fruit. The pomegranate seeds also constitute in giving a smooth and clean digestive process plus a healthier body weight.
A few interesting facts to know about this incredible fruit:
- The name pomegranate has been derived from the French word “pomme garnete” or the Latin word “pomum granatum” that means seeded apple.
- This fruit is a native to the country of Armenia and is cultivated in Mediterranean countries like Afghanistan, India, Japan, Russia, China and United States.
- The root of pomegranate should not be eaten for it contains poison.
- It is believed that chemicals in pomegranates help in fighting cancer.
- The fruit also decreases blood pressure, hence it should not be eaten 2 weeks before surgery.
- Pomegranate seeds are rich in oil and can be used as moisturizing lotion.
- While picking a pomegranate, you must see to it that the fruit is firm and heavy and full of seeds. The skin of the fruit should be from medium red to deep red. In case, the outer surface is scratched, it will not matter or affect the quality of the fruit inside.
- The fruit symbolizes health, prosperity, immortality and fertility.
- It is also a great substitute for oral medications and improving the overall sexual performance.
A small fun fact: Pomegranate was the fruit that Eve had actually consumed and not an apple. Well, knowing so much about the fruit, all of us certainly ought to incorporate it in our daily diet. Although, it might take a few minutes to peel off – the benefits it provides lasts for a lifetime.
By- Angelica Campbell